Good morning! I hope you’re all having a beautiful day. As I am a junior in high school, I have begun visiting colleges and universities. These visits can be really helpful during your college search and can give you a different perspective of the campus than you would get online or from a pamphlet. This can be super important when deciding what school you’d like to go to as you will be spending numerous years there and many of you will probably be living on campus as well. To help you make the most of these visits and gain as much knowledge as possible, I have come up with a list of 35 questions (split into 5 categories) that you can ask your tour guide or admissions advisor.
- Who is required to live on campus?
- If students are allowed to live off campus, where do they choose to live?
- Do the dorms lock? (Will you have a key or a card to get in?)
- How are rooms assigned?
- How are dorms assigned?
- Do the dorms have air conditioning or heating?
- Are the dorms co-ed or split by gender?
- Are there houses on campus? If so, do they have themes? (Language houses, etc.)
- What kind of Greek life is there on campus?
- Is laundry included?
- Is there a meal program offered?
- Are there other locations to get food on campus?
- When are meals served?
- How long is the dining hall open?
- What kinds of foods are offered for people with dietary restrictions?
- Are professors required to hold office hours?
- What kinds of graduation requirements are there? (Classes, service hours, projects, etc.)
- Are there study abroad programs?
- How do my classes transfer for study abroad programs?
- Does the school have a core curriculum?
- What is the workload like?
- What is the most popular major?
- When do you need to declare a major?
- What is the typical class size?
- What are the gym hours?
- What sort of programs are there for fitness?
- What division are the sports at this school?
- How much to varsity teams travel?
- Are club/intramural sports popular?
- How do a majority of students get around campus?
- Are students allowed cars?
- Do I have to pay to print for class? (Some schools make you pay per page or print!!)
- What kinds of clubs are there for students to join?
- How involved is the school with the surrounding community?
- Is there a nurse/doctor on campus?
The questions listed above are questions about topics that I have asked about or been told about during college tours. I think that there are several I have added that I would not have thought of on my own were it not for the fantastic tour guides I have had or the other families in the tours along with me. I wish you the best of luck in your college search. As always, if you’d like more posts on this topic, please let me know!